A repository of ideas about books, movies, martial arts, cooking, politics and living in Canada


Sunday, May 9, 2010

Done, but ow.

Another milestone past...

So today I finished the biggest part of my test for second degree black belt. I tested with an amazing group of people, with some really inspiring results. 23 of us went through our school's Power Weekend, and came out stronger for it -- although I am feeling a lot of pain right now.

We are a pretty diverse bunch, and I was glad to see how everyone responded to the rigour and stress of the weekend. This morning I did my 6k run with Ian and Toni, two of the senior belts who were testing with me, and Ian's son William. William was the only one with two good legs and we started really slow, barely above a quick walk. But Ian, Toni and I found strength in each other and in the environment around us and each step saw us getting faster. At the 3k turn we were starting to set a good pace, and finished at a full run. It was an awesome experience and I am so grateful and happy to have done with these two people. They are some of the best examples of people who live a life of dignity and grace that I can think of, and I am so proud to call them my friends.

Seeing my sons, my wife and my parents after I finished, waiting to give me a hug and wishing me well really made it so very special. I am a very lucky man.

There's a lot more I can post about the Weekend and this experience, and I'll follow this up shortly (maybe with some photos soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment