A repository of ideas about books, movies, martial arts, cooking, politics and living in Canada


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Update

My injury is coming along nicely and many, many thanks to Tim Marshall, my chiro who is helping me tremendously.

I have been thinking about several things recently -- the Catholic church and child molesting, nuclear disarmament, the quest for truth, how to recover properly from semi-serious injury, what is the nature of teaching, how good a writer Rawi Hage is, and how my kids make me laugh and smile. Each of these things deserve their own post, and I am going to try and get to each of them over the next few days.

In the meantime, enjoy this video, it really speaks about the nature of today's workplace (at least in my experience).

Why You Can’t Work at Work Jason Fried Big Think

2 comments:

  1. My workspace is open concept, which means no offices, no cubicles, no walls. It can be a very quiet place. The social culture has grown around IM. You IM people to ask them a question, if you could just raise your voice to ask. If they don't respond, they are busy.

    When two people are discussing something out loud, you can choose to overhear (our informal information sharing) or put your headphones on and ignore them. Someone with headphones on has their "door closed". Someone, I find these social norms work really well to allow us to have inuniterrupted blocks of time.

    Now I just need break the habit of always checking email and IM when I'm trying to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My workplace is one of office pods where you are constantly interrupted by either phones, email or people. Meetings are the norm, and having more meetings is a goal in and of itself. Hence my constant internet distraction.

    ReplyDelete