A repository of ideas about books, movies, martial arts, cooking, politics and living in Canada


Sunday, March 28, 2010

What do you get a guy who has everything?



An Injured Calf...


As anyone who trains martial arts knows, if you train long enough and hard enough, sooner or later you get injured. Not sore muscles, or a tight hamstring, but really honestly injured. I believe I'm a victim of such circumstances right now.

Our martial arts school had a rather important grading this past Friday: the remainder of the students who are qualifying for our black belt exam in May had to perform, and I was quite pleased with my fellow candidates. During the test the three of us who are going for second and third degree black belts had to perform, specifically in forms, self-defense and breaking.

My forms went okay, and my breaking was partially successful (I broke all my boards, but my nice combination break suffered from a poor set up, and didn't come off exactly as planned, much to my hand's chagrin.)

It was during my self-defense test that SOMETHING happened. I'm still not sure exactly what it was that I did, but it somehow involved me injuring my calf. I've either severely sprained it, strained it or tore it just where the bottom of the interior muscle joins the Achilles tendon. I think it happened as I was locking down my 'opponent' when we were rolling on the mat. I was trying to keep him from getting top position and was maneuvering for a sweep when we ended up stalemated. He was pulling his leg in one direction and I had trapped my leg against his and was pulling in the opposite direction. My calf and Achilles was held at maximum extension for a REALLY long time, I think that's what caused the injury. I didn't feel anything really bad until after the grading was over (and the adrenalin dump was over with). I couldn't walk properly the next day, and today (Sunday) it is now beautiful array of colours from my mid calf to my ankle. It is still tender, although I can walk a bit more normally today.

This brings up the issue of training with injuries. As noted above, if you train long and hard enough you will get injured. You should try and avoid it, and when it happens you have to modify your training to allow your body a chance to heal -- but I have always felt that what you should not do is stop training.

The martial arts (at least the ones I study) are well suited for a variety of training regimens, and I have seen people in full leg casts still working on technique.

My concern with my injury right now is that it comes at an awkward time: I'm entering that final 7 weeks before my black belt test, and I was intending to pick up my cardio and sparring training substantially in the next few weeks. That's in danger because of my injured calf. There are a lot of things I can do, but running, quick kicks and explosive movements aren't on the menu.

Fortunately this is a short week at the dojo because of the Easter Break, so I was going to have a shortened training week regardless. I may see if I can see my chiropractor and get his advice on what he can do for me. I've been really impressed with the results I've gotten under his care over the last two years, and recommend him to anyone seeking relief from sports related injuries: he works with Canadian Olympians, and the focus of he and his partner's practice is on sports injuries. What's great about him is that he never talks about what you can't do, only what he can do to get you better.

If anyone is looking for a healer, check these guys out (my guy is Tim Marshall)

No comments:

Post a Comment