A repository of ideas about books, movies, martial arts, cooking, politics and living in Canada


Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Book Club

So my book club met today. I was always a bit ambivalent about book clubs, but I've really enjoyed the one that I'm in. We have read a really wide variety of books, most of which I never would have read unprompted by them. Many have been completely unenjoyable, some middle of the road and some have been spectacular.

The one I enjoyed the most was the one we read last year:



Junot Diaz brought me a novel that transported me to an entirely different place. The language was challenging, the writing engaging and I was swept away by the story of Oscar Wao. My own past as a D&D playing, comic book collecting, nerdy high schooler played a huge role in my enjoying the novel. But that is only the hook. The real success of Diaz's prose is his ability to force his readers to accept a polyglot use of spanish, english and fanboy references that force you to think and move with the story.

I loved this book and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a read like none other. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment