A repository of ideas about books, movies, martial arts, cooking, politics and living in Canada


Thursday, June 9, 2011

Whiskey and Cigarettes

I must admit that I no longer listen to commercial radio, and so am completely out of the loop in terms of music trends and sound. I am now completely dependent on my children to let me know what is actually 'current'.

How sad, as I used to have such a wide appreciation for musical genres -- which I still do, but absent anything new. Until I came across this lovely lady, ADELE, who has become one of my faves, and restored my faith in new music. Of course, she kind of has an old sound, but that's not the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemWRToNYJY



How do I describe why I like this -- whiskey and cigarettes. That's what I think of when I hear or see her sing. I've never smoked, but loved spending time in dark smoky bars listening to bands and singers work a room -- which is another thing I don't do much of these days. This woman's emotional range in her songs is visceral.

For me she embodies Etta James, Janis Joplin and all the best bluesy singers to have come before her. And it seems that live she sounds exactly like on record, which to me is a true mark of talent.

What more could you ask for then listening to melancholy music, brilliantly sung with the lights down while sipping whiskey (I'll avoid the cigarettes, but she smokes which has done wonders for giving her voice just the right amount of rasp...)

I hope she continues to make wonderful music for years to come (so maybe she should give up the cigarettes at some point.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiMK9e0h6YE&feature=related




5 comments:

  1. sigh. Anyone know why when I embed youtube videos into my blog they never fit the screen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you need to set the size in the embed code on YouTube. Otherwise you get the default size.

    I like Adele, too. Even if she's new. :)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to Christine! that looks better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does indeed! Looking forward to your next post. I really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found you on here Seanster - it's sad that you're so old you don't know what's going on in music. Adele's a rare gift indeed, but they do come along more often than we give music credit for - you just have to know where to listen (and I don't do radio either, what with the no driving thing!). It's good to know you're writing again.

    ReplyDelete