A repository of ideas about books, movies, martial arts, cooking, politics and living in Canada


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Achievement


I have been particularly blessed recently. Every year I get to participate in a triumph of the spirit. This year I invested heavily in the group that would be testing for black belt at DeSantos. It was really the first time in my tenure at the club where I have felt more like a teacher and mentor to a group rather than an experienced training partner.

I deeply appreciate everything that these people did for me this weekend -- they gave it their all, and made me believe in my own abilities as an instructor and guide. Even more importantly I saw the spark take hold in many of them - the spark of wanting to share what they were feeling with others, and the blossoming sense that by giving back they will be fulfilled.

Every year I get very emotional witnessing these events. This year was no different. Perhaps now they understand a bit better the message I conveyed last year. I can't wait to see the effect all of this has.

Congratulations to all for all that they did. I feel truly blessed to have shared it with them.

Oh, and fair warning to those getting their first degrees this year: if you train diligently, you will be able to qualify for second degree when I go for my third in 2013. What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment