A repository of ideas about books, movies, martial arts, cooking, politics and living in Canada


Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving

Just as Fall is my favorite season, Thanksgiving has become one of my favorite holidays. Maybe it's my time living in the States, where November's Thanksgiving is such an event (compared to Canada), but I've come to appreciate the enjoyment of food and family that comes with this particular holiday. The air is just crisp enough, the leaves are on their way to full colour and the food is always the best of the year. (Usually I get to do this all again in November but not this year).

I've also grown particularly attached to the sentiment of the season. As I've grown older I have become more grateful for the blessings I have -- a wonderful wife, two incredible (and completely unique) sons, a healthy extended family, a good job, great friends, and a vocation of teaching and training that has transformed my life. So I am thankful for all my good fortune.

And as a way of showing my gratitude to the people who matter most to me, I cook for my family tonight. My son with the gourmet palate had some suggestions, and I am happy to oblige him:

Fresh Figs, Spiced Olives, Serrano Ham, Soprasetta, Cheese: (Guinness Cheddar, Stilton, Gruyere, and La Sauvagine)

Spicy fish soup with toasted croutons

Pan Roasted Duck Breast w/Apple and Cranberry Stuffing

Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto

Steamed Greens

Apple Pie (bought and borrowed, as my talents lie elsewhere)



To all those in my life who bless me with their gifts of love, joy and gratitude -- I thank you. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment